FINAL RATING: 4.25 STARS
“You’ll be a rumor. A whisper. The thought that wakes the bastards of this world sweating in the nevernight. The last thing you will ever be, girl, is someone’s hero.”
REACTION AFTER READING THE BOOK
Damn. It’s been a while since I’ve read this book. It’s a shame that I wasn’t able to read and review this when I finished it. I would have had a lot more to say since it’s a bit more fresh in my head.
Anyways, I do remember that I loved this book. Gave it a solid 4 start rating.
LONG STORY, SHORT REVIEW
– I know this book is a more gearing towards adult audience, but I didn’t expect some of the things that happened here to actually happen. Nothing too graphic, but it’s there.
– The writing. Oh man. The writing for this book is glorious!!!
– Most people would be frustrated with the additional footnotes, but I LOVE THEM!! I wish more books has them. It’s a good way to actually expand the world in the reader’s eyes without actually mixing it in the narrative.
– Love anti-hero stories with a tragic backstory? This book would definitely be for you.
– The use of profanity – I love it!!
– Mia, our main character, I have a love-hate relationship with. For the most part, she’s an amazing character. She’s badass, no freakin’ doubt about that! She not exactly pretty (thank God!!! I’ve had enough of those pretty-without-knowing type of characters who turns out to be this special snowflake. Buttttt… there are times she annoys me. Like, really annoys me.
– The revenge plot is something I’ve read in a number of books, and watched in a number of movies, before. I would have wanted to see something else.
– I want to see more of this world. It’s intriguing and there seem to be more of it that remains untouched by this book. I am hoping the next one would give me more!!
– It’s pretty slow. I think the only time it picks up was towards the end of the book.
– The Red Church is Howarts for assassins. I loved the classes each of the student had to take.
– Death! Give me moreeee!!!
– There is romance. Yes. It bothered me, a tiny bit. But then, I liked Tric, so it didn’t really bother me.
– Mia’s ability is pretty interesting. I wanted to know more about it though.
– So… that dude just died. Just like that. I was expecting more from someone like him. It sucks because the relationship that Mia and this person should have had, seems to be important, but was undercut because he died. *NOTE: It’s not Tric*
– Hate. Such a strong propeller for someone to get revenge.
– I liked the government system they have on here. It’s pretty interesting. Like the world-building, I want to know more about it.
– Oh Mr. Kindly!! I want one too!
– I would have wanted to know more about what Mia is. I feel that this book didn’t really reveal much about it aside from finding out she isn’t the only one who can control shadows.
– Oh the betrayal!! I love it! You’ll be surprised who betrays who. It didn’t really see it coming.
– The story took too long for something to happen. I wish more things happened in between the beginning to the climactic ending.
– All the characters were great. However, you’d see how some are pretty disposable than the others, which is why you don’t really get much from them. But the ones that do matter, you tend to care for them.
It’s pretty obvious that I loved this book. Did I wish it had a faster pace, definitely. I am looking forward to picking the next one soon.