TITLE: Graveyard Shift
SERIES: Batman Volume 6
WRITER: Scott Snyder
ILLUSTRATOR: Greg Capullo
NUMBER OF PAGES: 224
PUBLISHER: DC Comics
PUBLICATION DATE: April 29th 2015
GENRE: Graphic Novel, Mystery, Superhero
In these tales look back to the early days of the Dark Knight, then see the impact of the wake of the death of his son Damian!
Plus, has Batman’s worst foe become…Bruce Wayne? This title also includes three pivotal chapters from the epic Zero Year storyline, and a chapter that ties in to Batman Eternal!
If you don’t already know, I’m a sucker for Batman. I wasn’t always, but after reading Scott Snyder’s run with this hero in Court of Owls, I got hooked.
Going into this Volume of his New 52 run, I wasn’t expecting anything less than stellar. Yes. I got high expectations from Snyder and Capullo (my favorite duo).
• I kinda thought this volume would be following a certain storyline. So I was surprised to find that it was sort of a collection of short stories instead.
• The first one was prequel to Zero Year as noted, but I haven’t read that one so I don’t really know what happened there. Now I think I have to pick it up because I’m really curious what happened to this dishevelled, undercover Bruce Wayne. Why haven’t I read Zero Year yet? Well because someone gifted this volume to me and I just couldn’t wait to read it, so there. But I will get to Zero Year. POSSIBLY AFTER THIS.
• There were moments here that shows the Bruce’s struggle with loss, how we lost practically anything that has ever been important to him. It’s kind of heartbreaking really, and I love that.
• Superman made a small cameo. They were in a weird story involving a demon sucking out souls plus a ghost who can’t crossover to the other side. Yeah I know. Weird huh? The reason why I liked this part was because of how it shows their friendship and genuine concern for each other. That’s the part that really worked for me.
PS: Superman’s weakness is not only Kryptonite. Haha.
• We got introduced to Harper aka Bluebird. This is the first time I’ve read about her but I already like her from what I’ve seen so far. A female Batman sidekick? Yes please.
• Eeeh? What the hell happened to Comissioner Gordon? I may have to do a little research and find out why he got sent to jail.
• My least favorite among the stories in this volume was the one involving the Achoress inside Arkham Asylum. She’s in there because she’s crazy, I get it. But I just didn’t like her motivation. It doesn’t make sense to me.
• I liked the serial killer storyline. However, I didn’t get how he knew there was someone targetting this doctor’s patient. I don’t think it was that clear on how he found that out.
• The art. Holy cow. I loved them. Even the ones that were made by other artists aside from Capullo. They all get A pluses from me.
• Selina Kyle. There you are.
• Some storylines were better than others, that’s for sure.
Another great addition to Synder’s New 52 run. Wish I’d gotten to see more of Batman’s more emotional side though. The things that happened to his past definitely changed him. I want more of that.
Have you read this Batman run? What did you think about it?